Sunday, October 12, 2014

Photo: Saguaros for sale at the Desert Botanical Garden

The Desert Botanical Garden plant sale is an excellent opportunity to buy a saguaro cactus.  This is the area of the plant sale that features small saguaros.  The small saguaro pictured here ranged in price from about $180 to about triple that amount, depending on the size.

These are rather small saguaros, of course.  All someone would have to do is dig a small hole, plant the cactus, water it occasionally, and wait until the saguaro is about 80 years old, and the saguaro will grow to about 12 tall and sprout its first arm.

The slow growth and expensive price are why it is so sad when a storm like the two recent  heavy wind and rain storms we have recently had causes saguaros to topple over, as I have shown in some photos recently.

Today is the last day of the DBG's semi-annual plant sale, but I am sure that all of the saguaros are sold by now.

Today is Sunday, so we have new photos posted  on our Viva la Voyage travel photo site.  This week we are showing some of the marine life in the Sea of Cortez, Mexico.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Never occurred to me that there would be a sale of Saguaros. But why not except I would be impatient for its growth!

Sharon said...

I don't think I can wait 80 years.

glenda said...

Hopefully they all found good homes.

Julie Ferguson said...

Nice. It is something to consider when my husband and I buy a house.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...